Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Green mashed potatoes


I have tried, really tried to like dandelion greens. They are pretty bitter though, and anytime I have tried to cook with them I've ended up with something gag-inducing. This recipe for Green Potatoes looks pretty appealing however, maybe I'll give them another shot. I'm guessing the potatoes mellow out the bite of the dandelion. Bittman says that potatoes mashed with olive oil are a wonderful thing, and I have to agree. At the Cookbook Co. demonstration meal with Scott Pohorelic we had mashed potatoes with canola oil. The recipe called for 1/2 c. of canola oil for 5 lbs. of potatoes, which I initially thought was a lot.. but the taste wonderful. I think I will try Bittman's recipe with local canola instead of olive oil and see how it goes. Here's the video demonstration. Image from the NYTimes.

1 comments:

EO said...

I'll vouch for Claire: the 1/2 cup of canola oil ensured that these were the Best. Mashed potatoes. Ever. All mashed potatoes from here on shall be compared to this recipe.