Thursday, March 5, 2009

Split Pea Soup

Another soup recipe. I cannot believe how good this is.. I made this at 10 pm, as I am wont to do, but it was too good to pass up so I had my first bowl of it at 11.30 at night. Ridiculous. I took suggestions from several recipes and hacked it all together. Some vegetarian recipes suggest using veggie bacon, but I skipped that (have you seen the ingredient list on premade fake meat? scary..) in favor of a bit of liquid smoke. The smoke plus the cloves and mustard give this an unnervingly convincing ham flavor.

Embedded Recipe Image (Unsupported on IE 7 and earlier)
Split Pea Soup

 

Ingredients

  1. 2 cups dry split peas
  2. 7 cups of water
  3. 2 bay leaves
  4. 2 Tsp salt
  5. 1 Tsp dry mustard
  6. 2 medium onions, chopped
  7. 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  8. 3 stalks celery, chopped
  9. 1 small potato, sliced
  10. 5 whole cloves
  11. 2 shakes of liquid smoke
  12. 1 Tbs canola oil

Directions

  1. Put split peas, water, salt, bay leaves, and dry mustard in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for about 30 minutes.
  2. Add vegetables, garlic, and cloves and simmer for an hour. Add water if necessary.
  3. Stir in two shakes of liquid smoke and the canola oil and serve.

0 comments: